If you are planning a holiday in Spain, chances are, you will be visiting Madrid. As Spain’s central capital, Madrid is a beautiful city known for its rich history, culture and ancient architecture. While in Madrid, there is so much to see and do that you might want to spend an extra day or two just exploring.
We have decided to share some of our favourite things to do while in Madrid. Let’s take a look at each:
Top 20 Things To Do In Madrid
1. Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia- if you are a fan of 20th century art, then Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia is a popular museum in Madrid. It offers collections of Spain’s two greatest 20th-century masters, Pablo Picasso and Salvador Dalí.
2. Arzábal Retiro- grab a quick bite to eat or enjoy a glass of wine with the locals at Arzábal Retiro. With authentic Spanish cuisine, local wines and fresh caught fish, there is no better way to relax and enjoy the local culture.
3. Restaurante Ramses- another popular eatery, Restaurante Ramses is perfect for a late night cocktail while you listen to live music and dine on local Spanish cuisine.
4. Taberna del Volapie- an inexpensive café where the locals like to hang out, Taberna del Volapie offers good food at good prices.
5. ICON Wipton by Petit Palace- this boutiqur hotel offers one of the best hotel lounges you will find and is centrally located making it perfect for those who want to be within walking distance of Madrid’s interesting sights.
6. Salmon Guru- open late, Salmon Guru is a favourite of the locals and offers a full bar with a unique Spanish flair.
7. La GASTRO- with some of the best Spanish cuisine around, La GASTRO has something for everyone and could become your favourite eatery while in Madrid.
8. Cervecería Tropecientos- the Tropecientos Brewery is located in the central Madrid neighborhood of Chamberí and offers a wide selection of beers, Spanish cuisine and local flavour.
9. Fratelli d’Italia- [ Lavapiés ]- for the best pizza in Madrid, Fratelli d’Italia- [ Lavapiés ] can’t be beat. Inexpensive food, friendly service and excellent neighborhood location, make this one of our personal favourites.
10. Starbeers- if you are in to your beer, Starbeers is the perfect place for you! It is off the beaten track, but the quality food and great service make it well worth the visit.
11. TRYP Madrid Leganés Hotel- the TRYP Madrid Leganés Hotel is an inexpensive hotel which is centrally located and offers a beautiful sun deck for relaxing with a cocktail.
12. Mejorada del Campo- famous for its Spanish architecture, Mejorada del Campo is a town located about 20 km from Madrid. It features a self-built cathedral which has been under construction since 1961.
13. Time’s Rock- Times Rock is a tapas bar and restaurant located in Fuenlabrada, a nearby town. With authentic Spanish cuisine, local wines and a wide selection of premium spirits, you are sure to enjoy your meal as you mingle with the locals.
14. Casa Macareno- a favourite of locals and tourists alike, Casa Macareno offers some of the best Spanish cuisine, made with fresh, locally sourced ingredients.
15. Los Tiernos- this inexpensive neighbourhood restaurant offers good food, excellent service and a decent selection of local and international wines.
16. Korgui- head chef, Zurem Rodríguez, fuses Mediterranean cuisine with oriental and Mexican touches. Korgui also offers a romantic terrace which looks out to the views of the Viaduct of Segovia Street.
17. Thyssen-Bornemisza- located in the “Golden Triangle of Art”, the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum is an art museum located near the Prado Museum on one of city’s main boulevards. The Thyssen offers a wide range of cultural and historic paintings, sculptures and more.
18. Museo Nacional del Prado- the main Spanish national art museum, the Prado Museum is located in central Madrid. It has one of the world’s finest collections of European art, dating back to the 12th century.
19. Barceló Emperatriz- a 5 Star hotel located in Madrid’s Salamanca district, the Barceló Emperatriz offers luxurious accommodations and a beautiful setting perfect for relaxing after touring the city.
20. Marisquería Perlora- a local favourite, the Marisquería Perlora is a seafood restaurant located in the heart of Madrid. Offering Asturian cuisine with fresh ingredients and personalized service, it is easy to see why this hotspot is so popular.
Download The Mesmo App Today
Mesmo is an innovative travel app for the iOS and Android platforms and it lets you rediscover places in your city and beyond. You can find people’s top local recommendations in just a couple clicks, then tag and share them with the Mesmo community. With the City Explorer (re)discover places in your city and beyond. Find people’s top 10 recommendations in 2 clicks. Earn points by adding great recommendations and then tag & share them with friends & family. Download the app today.
For more holiday travels and adventures, visit Mesmo today and download their easy to use travel app that will make you feel like a local in any city in the world!
If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it on your favourite social media sites.1